ABOUT SCRUFFY'S WORD

Scruffy's Word is another opportunity to introduce the characters of Scruffy & Pals.
Here you will meet me,
Scruffy,
and my pals and learn about our personalities as we give humorous and sometimes serious tips, opinions and commentary on various golfing subjects and product reviews. I hope you will enjoy your visit....be sure to take your time and look around. I have carefully selected a lot of stuff that I think you will be interested in.
OH...one more thing, we are the feature cartoon in the UNIVERSAL GOLF MAGAZINE
.

Putting Tips From St. Andrews Caddy


Hi there, I’m Looper, Scruffy’s pal who occasionally gives tips on things having to do with being a caddie. I have a good pal over in Scotland who is a registered caddy at St Andrews Old Course…his name is Boynie. Not only does he loop, err I mean caddy; he is also the owner of Caddie Golf Tours.

If you are going to Scotland to play golf, contact my pal Boynie, he will set you up with tee times, take care of your transportation, arrange accommodations and see that you have everything you will need to make your Scottish golfing experience unforgettable.

As you can imagine he sees a lot of different styles of golf swings and methods of trying to get the ball around the course. Here are some tips Boynie has to help you practice putting on the coursed in Scotland.


I watch a lot of golfers on the putting green next to the Old Course prior to their round over the Old Lady and I am constantly amazed at how lackadaisical at least 70% of the golfers approach this 3 or 4 minute 'putting practice' session. It is essential to understand what you are trying to get out of the putting practice. Remember it is a pivotal part of the game....and is generally where the money shots are!

I have a couple of tips which I wish to pass on, I hope they read OK.

1) Start with finding the flattest area of the putting green, one with no obvious breaks from 3-5 feet. Place x3 golf balls in a line the first 2 feet away from the cup, the second 3 feet and the fourth 4 feet O___o___o___o

You then have to putt the first ball in, then step back and putt the second ball in and finally step back and putt the third ball into the cup. Simple no breaks and they are all short 'makeable' putts. Repeat this drill three or four times until you consistently knock all three golf balls into the hole then move the three balls further out > 4 feet, 5 feet and 6 feet all on the same line and knock them into the hole as well! You now know the line so it should not present any problems! Repeat this 3 or 4 times until these three putts are consistently going into the hole.

I once did this drill at Turnberry's practice putting green and eventually found myself 20-25 feet from the hole and still had not missed one. The pressure got too much and I eventually collapsed!

2) Another drill I occasional use is to make the cup look bigger by increasing the size of the hole. Imagine a clock face and place 5 tee pegs 1/2 an inch around the cup 12, 2, 4, 8 & 10 o'clock. This will increase the diameter of the cup and give you a larger 'target' to aim at. Once again use three golf balls and start from 2 feet away, increasing the distance as you consistently knock the ball into the hole.

I hope these two tips make sense to you all and that you find a smooth stroke that will stand you in good stead for the summer of golf that lies ahead.

Cheers, Boynie.


Boynie will be back on Scruffy’s Word from time to time giving his perspective and wisdom on playing golf in Scotland. So, don't forget to check back. In the meantime, go over to Caddy Golf Tours and book your next golf trip to Scotland.

Oh, I almost forgot, Scruffy wanted me to be sure you take a look at the photos of he, Knothead and Hoss playing St. Andrews...click here.

No comments: